CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Our Pregnancy Story

Since I'm coming to the end of my pregnancy, I wanted to put our journey in writing. We started trying to get pregnant about five months after we got married. We'd been together for a little over four years and, since I wasn't getting any younger, I wanted to start a family. Chad was a little skeptical, but when I explained to him that it would take a few months and then we'd have 9 more months, he agreed. Well, it took longer than we thought. We tried to concieve for a year. A very frustrating year. The doctor kept saying there's nothing wrong with me and we shouldn't have any problems, but still nothing. I was very frustrated and upset because I didn't know what was wrong. I didn't understand why! Well, hindsight is 20/20 because looking back on it now, God had a plan. We weren't ready! Especially financially. We were buying whatever we wanted and almost all our paychecks went to bills and groceries. How would we have ever afforded a child?! Since I've been pregnant, my husband has gotten a raise and will get a promotion and another raise in August! Plus, he's working an extra weekend job to help put some money back (and because the cost of gas and groceries is outrageous these days!). In fact, it may now be possible for me to work part-time and stay home with Aubrey. That is something I always wished for, but never dreamed would come to fruition!

Anyway, exactly a year after we started trying, I noticed that my boobs hurt. I mean HURT! I would scream when the dogs climbed on me or if I laid on my tummy. Then, one day I left my wallet outside in the shopping cart at the grocery store. Just pushed the cart to the proper area, got in my car and drove away. I was all the way across town when I started looking for my wallet to get something to eat. It was nowhere in my car. I panicked, drove all the way back to the store, and, luckily, someone had turned it in to the office. Everything was still in it! I was so embarrassed and confused. I have never done anything like that before. Later that day, I opened a bag of treats for the dogs. I almost threw up from the smell. One of our friends was at the house and he was like the smell is not that bad. What's with you? Well, I had my suspicions, but I was too afraid to tell even Chad. I didn't want to jinx it. Plus, I'd taken tests before and they were always negative. It's just too disappointing after awhile. I waited another week or so, and finally admitted to my friend Ashleigh that I thought maybe I was pregnant. She was thrilled! She called me the next morning and insisted I buy a pregnancy test and come to her office. So I did. I go in the stall while she waits outside. I hand her the test without even looking at it. She immediately freaks out! She said that is the most positive test she's ever seen (she has 2 kids). I am thrilled, nervous, and trying to figure out how to tell Chad. Finally, I go to his office that afternoon and tell him. He thinks I'm lying, but eventually believes me. We are finally going to be a family!

Now, as far as my actual pregnancy goes, well that is another story. I guess you can never be prepared for the toll it takes on your body. Two of my best friends had babies last year and, as I watched them go through it, I thought I was ready. Boy, was I WRONG! This has been the hardest thing I have ever done. I think I've had every symptom possible. Just when I thought I was going to get through it without morning sickness, here it comes. I was nauseous morning, noon and night. And TIRED! I came home every day and went straight to bed. Then the heartburn kicked in. I'd never had heartburn before. It was awful (and still is!). I have sciatica (which I discovered runs in my family), so I've had horrible, persistent lower back pain since about month 2. There have been times when it hurt so bad I couldn't lift my leg. I also have some skin discoloration on my face. It's known as the mask of pregnancy, but I only have it on either side of my nose. And it covers pretty good with make-up, so that's not bad. My skin has been broken out since day one and I can't find a thing to clear it up. I get hungry about 2 am each night. Hungry enough to wake me from sleep and force me to go eat something, or I'll never be able to get back to sleep. I think I can now pee on command. I have developed carpal tunnel in my hands and arms. My fingers are constantly tingling and numb and pain shoots up my arms. My hands are swollen and I've lost the ability to open things. Sometimes the smallest tasks are difficult. Also, since we are having one of the hottest summers on record, I am swollen. I am retaining water like you wouldn't believe. My feet pretty much stay as swollen as my skin will allow. I have to sleep sitting up because of the heartburn and my feet must be propped up due to the swelling. It's not the easiest position to sleep in. Now that I'm in my final month, I'm so big I can't really bend over. I can't touch my feet, shave my legs or do much of anything. I can barely dress myself! The good news is that I have made it with only a few small stretch marks on my sides. And, it's almost over.

Please don't misunderstand me. This was difficult, but I wanted this pregnancy and I am so thrilled to be bringing a little girl into the world. I can hardly wait to meet her! I've been planning and buying stuff for her from the moment we found out it was girl. I can't wait until we can go get pedicures together or go to Disney World or take her to Texans and Astros games. I think I am most excited to see how Chad reacts to her and how much he loves her. I'm pretty sure he has no idea what's in store for him. She is destined to be daddy's spoiled little girl. And both grandma's have offered to do their share of spoiling as well! The happiest day of our lives is right around the corner and I am so very excited!

--Amy

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! I am so happy that you found my blog and that I now have yours. These are great to keep up with everyones families! Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes great and have someone call me when she gets here!